Friday, October 24, 2008

Guess Who's Coming To Dinner

WOW! I just got done watching a movie that I borrowed from the library, that I happened to hear about on NPR while they were doing a highlight on the year 1968, and they mentioned that a movie I had never seen called "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner?" won the Oscars that year. They went on to explain why this was important to note because it was the first time that the movies that got nominated for Best Picture were movies that had to do with the issues of the times instead of being a western or something else. I thought well why not, it sounded okay, and I love Kate Hepburn and Spencer Tracy together I'll check it out.

That was one of the best films I've seen in a while. It wasn't because of it's ability to entertain me though it had some funny parts, but it was a film that touched my heart. I didn't grow up in a time of upheaval and haven't had to deal with the issues of integration and really haven't had to deal with much of a bigot's perspective during my short life, and so tend to feel the same and relate to the daughter in the film. In my mind there is not any kind of difference in people no matter where they come from or what they look like or even the life styles that they choose. Even if I don't agree with those chosen lifestyles those people are still just people and they deserve love like anybody else.

That was really an amazing film that made me think hard about how I see other people. I definitely suggest that everyone watch this film once in their life.

No comments: