Sunday, February 27, 2011

Going Second


 Several weeks ago my husband and I went to a concert put on by the band Going Second.  As luck would have it my cousin, Scott Brimhall, is the bass player.  Going Second is a high energy alternative rock band popular among the tween and early teen age groups.  They put on a fun show, and they're music was awesome.


Getting ready to go to the show, I wished that I had some accessories to wear that would fit the vibe, but not make me look like a 30 year old that was trying to hard.  So since we plan to go to more of their shows in the future, I thought it would be fun to make myself some cuffs to wear.



I really like how they turned out!!  I ended up making three of them since I happened to run across the striped fabric and a red lace ribbon when I was looking for my black fabric.  All I need now is a band t-shirt, and I'm set.

Here's how I did it:

Measure your wrist, and add on about 1 1/2 to 2 inches for the overlap of the snap and the seam allowance.  For my width measurement I based it on the width of the Eveline lacy cuff I have in my Etsy store.  So I ended up with 9" X 2.5".


For my basic black fabric I used some old black microfiber pants I had, that way it's really soft on my wrist. Cut out two pieces, in the case of the stripey fabric I chose to cut my second piece out of the pant fabric.



Pin the pieces together and stitch around the whole thing leaving an opening at one end to turn it right side out later.


Clip the corners so that they are less bulky when you turn it.



Then turn the piece right side out and using your shears or a pencil push out your corners.



Press the seams open and then flatten the piece.


Blind stitch your opening closed with coordinating thread.



Then finally add your snaps, following the directions on the package.  I chose some large muted metal ones so I only used one for the closure.



You're done!  Don't they look cool?



Now I can't wait until the next concert.

~Fraise

No comments: