Wednesday, August 8, 2012

In the Navy

Yesterday wore Grammy out, and I'm still sick so we decided to take it easy today.  It was pretty hot too, and I think Grammy would have had a hard time playing miniature golf out there today.  We hope that we'll be able to go tomorrow, we'll see there's a storm warning in effect and Grammy doesn't want to drive in the rain.

We stayed in and did more recording.  We got to hear about Grandpa's story how he joined the Navy during World War II when he was 16 years old.  He was pretty sly about it, and snuck in without his mother realizing it.  Apparently he really wanted to join since his brothers had been in the service, one of which snuck in 15 years old.  He also said that as a 16 year old he was a part of the Sea Scouts, whose uniforms looked just like the navy minus one stripe and an anchor instead of a star on the back.  He said he took his uniform with him up when he was visiting San Francisco with his mom and then he would put it on at night after dinner and go out pretending to be a member of another Allied Naval force on leave.  He would go to bars and be included by other service men.

We got to hear how Grandpa and Grammy met, and the story of her two left shoes on their wedding day.  Grammy gets so excited about showing me all of her mementos of her life and other people she's loved.  I'm very touched that she has truly accepted me as her grand-daughter.  She keeps asking if she can send this or that knick-knack home with us.  We have to keep telling her that we don't have any spare room in our little carry on bags to spare and that we didn't bring a  large bag either.  She keeps telling us that we'll need to drive a truck next time to take some of Grandpa's mother's things with us back to Utah.  They call her Mama Hog.  Due to a funny incident in which Josh festooned his great-grandmother Fishburn with a Harley Davidson cap Grandpa had in the car.  They had been driving somewhere together and she had complained of the sun being in her eyes.  Josh said she looked like a biker after putting the cap on her, and she was then named "Mama Hog."

We did go out for linner.  We went to a place called Skyline Chili.  Apparently restaurants based on chili are popular out here.  Grandpa and Grammy told about the different places and how their recipes differed.  We also got some really yummy ice cream from a place called United Dairy Farmers, a store which also doubles as a service station.  We decided to try the flavors English Toffee and Sea Salt Caramel.  They were yummy!!  Since Grammy had never had a sea salt caramel before I told her I would mail some to her.  We enjoyed hearing stories about Grammy's kids and her son Rick who we met yesterday.  They all love to tease and play jokes on each other.  Sounds like my kind of family.  In fact yesterday Rick tried t convince me that his mother had broken her nose five times in her life.  I almost believed it until he started laughing.  Call me GULLIBLE.  I told him I was usually fair game at home too, but that I had far more people ganging up to tease me. I wish I could meet the rest of her side of the family, but there might not be time.

No comments: